4.02.2010

Being Single= being awesome

I've been thinking a lot lately about the value of being single. 

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone who is married or in a serious relationship gets angry, I will be the first to admit that the benefits of having a significant other are joyous and sometimes too many to count. Although I look forward to the time when I am joined together with the man I love for eternity; I'm not in this situation, so this blog is going to focus on how being single rules- sorry.

 My whole life i've yearned to be with someone. I've wanted that companionship- in fact craved it sometimes. There were points in my life where I desperately wanted a man to 'complete me' like in the fairy tales. Then I got a little taste of love with the man who broke my heart- and I swore it off.

Now I am happy to report that after a year and a half of soul searching, i've come to find a perfectly happy balance for the first time in my life. 

Life isn't about finding someone to complete you; it's about allowing God to complete you and finding people to magnify your new found love of self.

I am slowly (but surely) learning the importance of building a lasting relationship with God. Trusting him, turning to him during a time of need, loving him, and loving myself. After all, I am a daughter of God and have divinity in every fiber of my being.

When you allow yourself to blossom you suddenly realize that there is a world out there at your fingertips, and no one stopping you but yourself.

I don't have to answer to anyone other than God. Sure, I have to pay my bills and fulfill my calling, work on my career and continuously stay in tune with what The Lord wants me to be doing; but beyond that- i'm free :)

About a year ago I created a bucket list. I've had this list full of amazing things for far too long, and it's time to begin accomplishing them!  First up on the list: Skydiving. I will be going the first week in May!

 I am the ONLY ONE from my age group of church friends in high school who is not married. The only one.  I have been so happy for all my married friends. One by one i've watched them meet their loves and watched them begin their lives together. I used to be envious of them. In fact, tor a long time I let that singleness define me. I let it be an negative instead of a positive. 

Not anymore! 

Life is too exiting for me to wait around for Mr. Right. There is nothing attractive about someone who does nothing with their life. This means no waiting- i'm going to be focusing on learning, growing, experiencing and 'going for the gold!' 

If Mr. Right wants to find me, he'll have to catch me first- and i'll welcome a good chase anytime ;)

2 comments :

  1. I love it, the life of singlehood is truly amazing, and I am so grateful for it! I am glad you are living life to its fullest, I love you Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most amazing thing about life is that the timeline we set for ourselves isn't how it's meant to be...it's awesome when you understand that and really embrace it! I love everything about you Court!!~

    ReplyDelete