10.21.2010

Mousetraps

I'm an animal lover. From the moment I was able to cognitively form an opinion until my Junior year of high school, all I wanted to be was a veternarian. Even though my career goals have shifted, my love for animals is still in tact. 

Growing up my sister and I both had rodents: a guinea pig, rabbit, hamsters, and mice. Needless to say, seeing a rat in the NYC subway station hardly phases me (if I saw a spider though, I would have a mild heart attack).

Recently while I was laying on my bed, talking to my Mom on the phone, I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye. 
"Hold on Mom... there's something in my room"
"There's someone in your room!?!?"
"No Mom, I saw something move and I think...yup... I just saw him again. I have a mouse in my house."
"Aww a mouse! You can name it Tom!"
 
And this is how Tom entered my life. I now see him several times a day and I'd be lying if I said I was grossed out. I know it's unsanitary (and the thought of not minding a little mouse makes people look at me like i'm some kind of a freak) but he's harmless and cute and i'm a little lazy. However, once the roomates found out they freaked out.  

Katie suggested a sticky trap- I denied. Those traps are completely inhumane! They make the mouse suffer and starve to death. Lauren suggested poison. The last thing I wanted was the mouse eating poision and dying somewhere not to be found. 

So alas, I went to the hardware store today and looked at the options. We could either catch and release him, or use a snap trap. The clerk at the store said if I release Tom into the wild (and by wild I mean Central Park) he will find his way back to his family, and inevitably back into my apartment. I don't know if I believe this guy- he hardly looked like a rodent expert, but his guess was better than mine. 

I have no idea what I was thinking a snap trap looked like- but I was not expecting my life to suddenly become a Ben and Jerry cartoon. I guess with our technology constantly improving, I  am always shocked to find things that have stayed the same. Did you know that snap traps literally still look like this?
I bought a couple packs of them, and made my way home, suddenly feeling very sad. I know Tom shouldn't be in my apartment but is killing him really the answer? Lauren helped me set the trap up in my room, on a piece of newspaper, with some blue cheese seductively crumbled in the prime spot. Lauren could see I was a little distraught.

"I've been thinking. Instead of Tom why don't we call the mouse Bin Laden."

"Bin Laden?" I replied.

"Yea- that way you won't feel so bad about killing him. We're just gonna kill Bin Laden."

So here it is: Bin Laden (the mouse) just like Bin Laden (the terrorist) is being hunted by Americans and is nowhere to be found.

2 comments :

  1. We hope Bin Laden (the mouse) is as good at hiding as Bin Laden (the terrorist)! ~giggle, giggle~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I laughed out loud when I read the convo between you and your mom. Typical Court and Mother Teresa! =) And, Please don't kill little Tom! That would be so sad! Poor little mousy.

    ReplyDelete