10.15.2010

My future husband.

Lately i've been thinking about my future. It will hopefully encompass a lot of things like a mission, marriage, career, kids, grand kids.... I could go on and on (don't worry, I won't).

Let's face it: we are constantly bombarded with 'Carpe Diem-like quotes' such as:
'Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind of the present moment'. -Buddah

I understand and embrace the idea of living in the present (one of my last blog posts was about it).  However, I don't think it's harmful every once and awhile to get excited about the future. I find it a useful way to remain motivated through the journey. 

One night during this 'day-dreaming' I began thinking about my future husband. What will he look like? What will his passions be? Will he love me as much as I know i'll love him? Questions flooded my mind as I began the descent into sleep; but before I entered the realm of dreams, I remember thinking one distinct thought. 

It's going to be so wonderful falling asleep with your arms around me.

I can't spend my life yearning and crying over what I don't have. It's pointless and destructive. That doesn't mean however, that I have to be thrilled going to bed alone every night. There are some things in life that will inevitably be better when he's around, and I think it's healthy to acknowledge that.

So wherever you are, future husband, I can't wait for you to come into my life. I know that having you will not solve all of my problems. It will, however, make a lot of things abundantly sweeter :)


2 comments :

  1. NICE! That was very well written Court, I hate the woe is me posts about not being married and this was NOT that at all. I will tell you, I heard on Oprah the other day that sleeping next to your spouse is the best thing you can do for your marriage. It's the only thing that's special to a marriage anymore. Sleeping together at night. Personally I like it for the safety reasons... if anyone breaks in D grabs the gun and we're good to go. (: ps-- don't ever try and break into our place to surprise us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've only been married 2 months, but I can tell you a few things about your husband.

    1. He will love you more than you can imagine! (Trust me)

    2. You probably won't be able to guess what he will look like. However, I think it's ok to be a stickler about one or two things (mine was blue eyes)

    3. It's not all that comfortable to sleep with someone's arms around you--but I get what you mean.

    4. My favorite part about being married is that I have someone on my side. I got someone to back me up and support me, and help me make decisions. And I can't wait til you have that!

    5. Also, when you do get married (or just when you get home from the mish) I think we should escalate our old laurel sleepovers to girls weekend trips!!! Ponder that and get back to me ;)

    ReplyDelete