11.14.2010

Indifferently different

Our differences can be demanding. They can be our strengths, our weaknesses, our likes or dislikes, our passions or our life long goals; in the end however, we are all set apart by something. Like Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "We all boil at different degrees."

This was especially made aware to me today during a fireside devotional held at church. Observing my surroundings, I realized there were so many different kinds of people in the small chapel with me. As the opening hymn began, I especially took note of the small deaf community signing in the left- front corner. As we sang "all creatures of our God and King, lift up your voice and with us sing, Alleluia! Alleluia!" they were signing as triumphantly as I was singing. The more I watched them, the more joy I threw into my singing. In that instance, our vast differences seemed so small.

The speaker then talked about heroes. What makes a hero? He listed a lot of things such as:
1. You must not view yourself as a hero.
2. You must believe in something that's bigger than yourself with all your heart.
3. You're willing to put others in front of yourself.
4. You are prepared to do whatever it takes, no matter what.

However, what came to my mind was simpler than all of those wonderful things above. A hero is different. A hero stands firm in what sets them apart at the appropriate time to do so.

All in the course of an hour and a half I learned a very valuable lesson. Our differences don't hurt us. They bind us in a sense that can only make us exceptional, if we let it. We are all a piece of the puzzle; and allowing someone the spotlight, for a moment, simply means we are supporting them in their time to let their differences shine.

"To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others." -Tony Robbins

No comments :

Post a Comment