3.18.2011

Dear Americans,

I believe that we all have the right to our opinions. Even the stupidest of people have a right to say what they want to say; however, I am having a really hard time with political opinions as of late.

If you are a staunch republican that watches FOX News 24/7 or a liberal democrat whose idol is Stephen Colbert, I get it. People are different and their walks of life contribute to their overall beliefs. No two people will ever be the same, therefore no two people will ever have the same opinion. What I cannot stand though, is the amount of disrespect people show for this country's leaders.

I have now deleted 3 people from my facebook friends list for rude remarks about our president. Honestly, he is a human being who is doing what he thinks best. You don't agree with him? -Fine. Write a post about what you would do differently and your frustrations with his choices, but don't call Obama names and feel as though you've somehow 'contributed to your cause'.

I am not the smartest person, and politics often confuse me. However, what I base my life around is Christian core values. You may not agree with someone but do not spread hatred by insulting them repeatedly while you sit on your couch and comment like a pro-nazi peanut gallery. Come on people!

Did the shooting in Arizona teach you nothing? You can't fix anything with hatred. Have you no compassion for others? 99% of the people that hate on our president wouldn't know where to begin with a job like his.

Where did this blatant hate come from? Does it stem from frustration that you don't make a difference in this world, and feel like the only thing you have control over is opinionating?

I just don't get it. I don't understand how you can teach your children compassion by insulting a man who literally has the weight of a nation on his shoulders.

There is a difference between insults and opinions. Learn it.

"I always looked upon the acts of racist exclusion, or insult, as pitiable, from the other person. I never absorbed that. I always thought that there was something deficient about such people."
Toni Morrison


4 comments :