9.10.2011

9/11


It seems as though coverage of the 10th Anniversary, of the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks started over a month ago.

Every week there has been a new story, picture or article that touched me to my core.


That day, so many years ago started out like every other and ended with fear in the hearts of so many, myself included. I was a Junior in High School, and by second period, the TV's were on; watching live coverage of the terror striking New York, Washington D.C., and Pennsylvania. They canceled all after school activities (including play practice) and I remember being livid that they did so. I wanted a distraction from the terrible sights on the news. I wanted 2 hours where I didn't have to focus on what was really happening.

My story is so simple. In fact, it's like the majority of the world. Our Grandparents remember where they were when Pearl Harbour was bombed, and we so vividly remember where we were when we heard the Trade Center's had been the target of a terrorist attack.

What drew me closer to this day, was moving to NYC and living in Manhattan for 3 fall seasons. Every 9/11 I would take the train downtown to pay my respects to those who lost their lives on that sorrowful day.



The displays of love, the stories told, the pictures left, the relatives mourning, the light beams representing the 2 towers; all brought me to tears every year.

It was hard for me to fully comprehend the loss until I was there, on the day, realizing I was standing on the grave of thousands.




Last year, I had the opportunity to go pay my respects with my dear friend Bianca, who was only blocks away from the towers that fateful day. Walking around Ground Zero with her brought the whole horrific event into even more of a reality. Here stood one of my dearest friends, praying at the site that she feared for her life 9 years ago. I'm so thankful that she is here to be my friend.




Thinking about those who lost their lives makes all of our differences so minute doesn't it? Well it should.

Whether you have your conspiracy theories, or don't. Whether you are for the War in Iraq or against it. Whether you are Republican or Democrat: I hope that as you are going about your day tomorrow, take a moment to yourself, and offer a prayer for those who were directly effected by this tragedy. No matter what you believe, there is one thing that cannot be denied. 2,996 people lost their lives that day.













(Collection of gifts left at Ground Zero in the NYC WTC Museum)




“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. “
- President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001








(Cross made from remnants of the World Trade Centers)

2 comments :

  1. That was nice Courtney. We've been covering it in social studies and the kids were babies...some don't get it. I was there in July and can't not stop by and pay respect. I still remember frantically trying to find out which US airways flight went down because Frank's mom was on her way to the city that morning for Chase Manhattan...thanks for your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your tender sentiments Courtney. :)

    ReplyDelete